Coconut Panna Cotta may seem intimidating at a glance but it is a super easy recipe to make. Only five ingredients are needed to make this creamy and tropical flavored dessert. Not only is this recipe dairy free it can also be easily adapted to be vegetarian friendly by using a gelatin alternative.
What is Panna Cotta?
Panna Cotta is an Italian dessert that consists of milk, flavoring, and gelatin that is put into a mold and served. It can either be served in the mold or be unmolded and turned out onto a plate.
Follow ThymeToCook on Pinterest for more recipe ideas!
Panna Cotta Ingredients
Coconut: Canned coconut works the best in this recipe. You want to makes sure that you select a brand that is full fat otherwise the panna cotta mixture may separate once mixed.
Gelatin: In order to set the panna cotta powdered gelatin is used. 2 teaspoons is about the amount of one package of gelatin. Agar Agar can also be used in place of gelatin for a vegan/vegetarian friendly version.
Flavoring: Vanilla and sugar are added for an extra kick of flavor but they can be omitted if you want a more savory coconut focused flavor.
How to Make Coconut Panna Cotta
- Combine all ingredients except gelatin in a small sauce pan. Mix until heated through.
- Stir in bloomed gelatin and whisk until it is fully dissolved.
- Divide mixture between 4-6 bowls and let chill until fully set.
How to Demold Panna Cotta
Fill a large bowl with warm tap water, dip the bowl in the water for 30 seconds making sure to not get any liquid in the panna cotta. The edges of the dessert should start to look a little wet which means it has loosened from the sides of the bowl.
Place a plate on top of the panna cotta bowl and flip it over. Tap the bottom of the bowl to insure it has fully separated from the edges.
What to Pair with Coconut
The best pairings for coconut panna cotta are tropical flavors. Fresh fruit is a wonderful option for as it gives the dish an extra texture element. Fruit purees can also be added to the top of the dish when it is set. Mango, kiwi, passion fruit, lychee, vanilla, and pineapple are all great flavor options for this recipe.
Other Dessert Recipes to Try
Coconut Panna Cotta
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 2 cups coconut milk full fat
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons gelatin powder
- Combine coconut milk, coconut cream, sugar, and vanilla in a small sauce pan.
- Mix until sugar has dissolved and mixture is heated through, making sure not to boil it.
- Combine the gelatin with 1 tablespoon of cold water and stir until combined.
- Add gelatin to the coconut mixture and whisk until the gelatin has fully dissolved.
- Pour into 6-8 bowls and let chill in the refrigerator until set, about 6 hours