This pesto pasta salad is fast and easy to make but full of bold and bright flavors. Only four ingredients are needed to make this delicious salad. This can be served as a side dish or as a main course with the simple addition of a protein like chicken or shrimp.
You can either make this recipe with store-bought or homemade pesto sauce, both will result in a equally tasty salad. If you want to make your own pesto why not try our Nut Free Pesto recipe.
Follow ThymeToCook on Pinterest for more recipe ideas!
Pesto Pasta Salad Ingredients
Pasta: Any type of pasta will work in this recipe but a medium sized pasta is best since you want the pasta to be the same size as the other ingredients.
Cheese: Although bocconcini is used any type of cheese will work. Mozzarella, burrata, parmesan, and feta are also great alternatives to try or omit the cheese completely.
Tomatoes: Grape or cherry tomatoes are used in the recipe but any large tomato can also be used. They will just need to be chopped into small pieces to match the size of the other ingredients.
Pesto: The pesto used can either be store bought or homemade, whatever is more convenient for you to use.
How to Make Pesto Pasta Salad
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Cool pasta completely and combine in a bowl with remaining ingredients.
- Season as desired and serve.
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure to cut all ingredients into the same size so it is easier to eat.
- Cool pasta completely before combining with remaining ingredients. This can be done by rinsing the pasta under cool water.
- Let pasta sit for 20-30 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to develop.
This salad will last up to five day in the refrigerator in a sealed container although it will probably all be eaten before it can reach the fridge!
Pesto Pasta Salad
- 8 oz medium pasta
- 1 cup grape tomatoes sliced in half
- ½ cup bocconcini sliced in half
- ⅓ cup pesto sauce homemade or store bought
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions and cool completely. Make sure to drain the pasta well.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until evenly coated.
- Season with salt and pepper as desired and serve.