Roasted tomato soup is the perfect soup to make on a rainy fall day. It is super easy to make with minimal ingredients and steps. Not only is this recipe easy to make it is also vegan and vegetarian friendly!
Fresh tomatoes and basil make this a bright and flavorful recipe that everyone will love. Pair it with some warm Cheese Bread or stir in some Buffalo Roasted Chickpeas for an extra kick of protein and spice!
Follow ThymeToCook on Pinterest for more recipe ideas!
Roasted Tomato Soup Ingredients
Tomatoes: Any type of large tomato will work in this recipe but Roma tomatoes are the best flavor wise.
Seasoning: Salt, pepper, and fresh basil are the only seasoning needed. Fresh basil makes this recipe bright and flavorful, 2 tablespoons of dried basil can also be used instead.
Broth: Vegetable broth is used in this recipe to make it vegan and vegetarian friendly but chicken broth or even water can be used instead.
How to Make Roasted Tomato Soup
- Slice vegetables and place on baking sheet, toss with oil until fully coated.
- Roast for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a pot with broth, seasoning, and basil. Blend until smooth and bring to a simmer until warm.
Tips and Tricks
- For more of a charred smokey flavor place vegetables directly onto the baking sheet without parchment papaer.
- For a creamier soup 1/2 cup of heavy cream can be added or for a vegan option coconut milk can be used.
- Bell peppers are a great addition to this recipe, roast them on the tray with the rest of the vegetables.
This soup can be stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It can also be easily frozen for up to 2 months in a sealed container since there is no dairy in it.
Pair it With
Roasted Tomato Soup
- 3 lbs Roma tomatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup fresh basil
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice tomatoes and onions into quarters and place on a baking sheet with the garlic.
- Drizzle with olive oil and stir until fully coated. Roast for 40-45 minutes or until soft and slightly browned.
- Add vegetables to a pot with the broth, seasonings, and fresh basil. Blend with a hand blender until smooth.
- Bring to a simmer and heat until warm, season as desired and serve.